Saturday, September 12, 2009

Madam President, I ask you...

I was conflicted when Candice Parker brought home the MVP trophy in 2008. If the award had been BBP (best basketball player), I would have supported CP winning. She's the next generation of the WNBA. She will probably mature into the best women's baller of our time. So, why was I conflicted, you ask?

What is an MVP? It isn't simply an award for technique. Right? Isn't the MVP someone who shows technical saavy AND is a role model both on and off the court? If so, I question CP as 2008 MVP. Am I the only one who remembers CP thowing a punch during the 2008 season and getting suspended?

Flash forward to 2009. Diana Taurasi! Now DT is a players player. There is no one more consistent on the court. She is leading the race toward this years MVP award, and if I was a betting gal, my money would go on DT to win it all! WHAT? Are you kidding me right now? DT? The player who was arrested for DUI this season? The player who was suspended by the WNBA as a result of the DUI? Again, if the title was BBP, DT is your girl...hands down. She's an awesome player! But the award isn't BBP is it?

The WNBA has historically claimed to be an organizaiton promoting role models for young girls and boys. If Donna Orender [President of the WNBA who will be referred to as Madam President going forward] wants to pretend that the WNBA is about community and role modeling, how can she hand out MVP awards to fighters and drunk drivers? I'm no prude, but I am confused. I have no problem handing out awards to the best ballers in the league, but Madam President, how can you refer to the fighters and drunk drivers as "most valuable" while pretending to support community and role modeling.

In the Storm v. Mercury game a few nights ago, sadly the Storm lost in OT. I'd like to give you the play by play for the last 10 seconds of the game.

10, 9...defensive rebound for the Mercury...8, 7...pass to DT...6, 5, 4...DT dribbles...3, 2...DT protects the ball...1, 0...buzzer sounds...DT drops the ball, turns to the Storm fans, pumps her fists and shouts "M*&^%$ F@#$%^*&" (rhymes with Mother Truckers).

Madam President, I ask you, MVP or BBP?

1 comment:

  1. I agree..that fight should have shut her out of MVP alone...MVP is a player who does it all..and for this year D.Taurasi is a beast..but someone who has not been mentioned for MvP is Deanna Nolan..she has been doing her thang also and should have been in Becky Hammon's place on the All WNBA 1st Team.

    ReplyDelete